HISTORY OF APAM SENIOR HIGH SCHOOL

and 10,000 have completed successfully.


Apam Senior High School popularly known as "GREAT APASS" was founded by the Late Rev. J. W. De-Graft Johnson    on the morning of 20th February 1953. The school started from very humble beginning in a cocoa shed at "Apaa Paado" (Apam plains) near the "Baka" (i.e close to the lagoon in Apam) with a student population of twenty and a   staff of two as a Day Secondary School.

The vision of the school is to produce hardworking individuals who are of   service to mankind.

In terms of mission, Apam Senior High School exists to provide a conducive atmosphere for   character training, excellence in academics and sports all in a bid to produce knowledgeable, useful and all round   citizens imbued with good character and skills that will epitomize the school's motto: "Obra Pa Gya Owura Kwan" (Character and Efficiency).

The men and woman who have steered the affairs of the school since its inception to date are the following:

  1. 1953 to 1958 Rev. J. W. De-Graft Johnson
  2. 1959 to 1979 Dr. P.A. Owiredu
  3. 1980 to 1988 Mr. Sam   Parry
  4. 1988 to 2004 Mrs. Esther Hamilton
  5. 2004 to 2016 Mr. Archibold Kobina Fuah
  6. 2016 to 2019 Nana E.C. Acquah   
  7. 2019  to 2022 Jemima E. Arthur-Morrison (Mrs.)
  8. 2022 to date Comfort Essah-Amoaful (Mrs.)

Having laid the firm foundation of the school by Rev. Johnson, classes were conducted in a tottering cocoa shed at Apaa Paado. On the 16th of April, 1960, a new site, known as Mmofra Mfa Adwen , was commissioned by Lord Listowel, the last Governor General of Ghana. This is where the school is presently located.

In the very beginning, the outward   attractions of the school were all lacking. Classes were conducted in a tottering cocoa shed at Paado. At the new site there was no sea water to use so water was brought by tankers from Winneba and rationed. Even though the school had moved into new premises, the student still had their meals and slept at Paado ostensibly because of lack of facilities.

This also meant that students had to walk for about two miles to attend classes which were conducted at Mmofra Mfa Adwen.

The boarding system was nothing to write home about. The first dinning hall tables were rough boards which were hurriedly put together by one Supi Kojo Mbrah, then a first class craftsman. Food was prepared from Mrs Ruth Botsio (the wife of Mr. Kojo Botsio) family's house with the family's cooking utensils because the school never had any utensils of her own. When food was cooked, it was carried to the Old site.

The dinning hall itself was too small that students who were in the hostel had to eat in two batches: a situation which disturbed school programmes.

Nevertheless the founders of the school and the students saw far above the then set-backs as temporary impediments since, to them, education was more important than any physical discomforts and limitations. The school went through a period of great exertion and out of those struggles, emerged to a powerful and proud school that even to this day knows how to struggle to work and serve mother Ghana, a school welded together by bonds of past tribulations.

In September, 1961, the school was officially recognised not only as a Boarding School but also a Sixth Form School after inspection.

Again, the school moved from Arts and Science to include other programmes and from One Stream to a Four Stream School.

CAMPUS TOUR

0:00
/
6,769
Active Students
400
Teaching Staff
100
Facilities